1. Home
  2. Do you need an attestation letter to apply for a student visa for Canada?

Canada Student Visa, Canada PR

Do you need an attestation letter to apply for a student visa for Canada?

Attestation Letter

Attestation letter is one of the hot topics for students applying for Canada. According to a recent change from IRCC, international students need to submit a letter. However, there are some exemptions. First of all, What is an attestation letter? An attestation letter is a document that students need to get before applying to Canada. The letter proves that the student has been included in a provincial allocation within the national cap. This letter also shows that the province or territory supports the international student. So, it is mandatory for many students to apply to Canada and it depends on their academic level. Let’s learn who needs an attestation letter to apply for a student visa for Canada. Such as Master’s, Phd, Diploma, Bachelors etc.

The Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada will ask for this letter from a province. Each province or territory is working on a way to get this letter. They’re expected to have these processes ready by March 31, 2024. So, if you applied for a study permit before January 22, 2024, your application will be processed according to the old rules. But any application received on or after January 22, 2024, without an attestation letter will be returned unless you’re exempt.

Exemption Case for attestation letter:

  • Studying for a Master’s degree
  • Visiting or exchange students
  • in-Canada study permit and work permit holders (includes study permit holders applying for an extension)
  • In-Canada family members of study permit or work permit holders
  • Students whose application was received before 8:30 am EST on January 22, 2024
  • Minors

While the Minister’s announce that the college level programs are compulsory, they need to submit an attestation letter. 

In more detail: Who needs a Provincial Attestation Letter?

  • Most post-secondary study permit applicants
  • Most non-degree granting graduate programs (for example, certificate programs and graduate diplomas)
  • Anyone else not included in the exception list above.

So, yes, in some cases, international students in Canada might need an attestation letter. The requirements can change based on where you’re from, where you want to study, and what type of visa you’re applying for. It’s important for international students to check with their school or the Canadian immigration authorities to see if they need this letter.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *